Hasselback Potatoes with Parmesan and Roasted Garlic is your next favorite side dish! With meaty potatoes and loads of garlic and Parmesan flavor, they’re sure to be a dinner hit!
I’ve been meaning to buy a mandolin for months but my procrastinating self never got around to it until I found one on my recent trip to our neighborhood TJ Maxx. I was pretty stoked to see it sold for cheap at only $3.99 and I went home pretty excited to try my new toy.
What better way to make use of a mandolin than slicing potatoes to uniform thickness? I was ready to put together this yummy potato dish in minutes!
These Hasselback potatoes with Parmesan and roasted garlic take a potato side dish to a whole new level of yum! Not only are they easy to prep, but super adaptable, too.
The recipe calls for lots of roasted garlic and Parmesan cheese, but feel free to season the potatoes up with your favorite spices and herb blends.
- Ranch seasoning mix
- Curry powder
- Dried or fresh rosemary, marjoram, thyme, oregano, Italian seasoning
- Paprika, cayenne pepper
- Crisp bacon crumbles
- Chives, green onions
- Peel or not to peel? It depends on your preference and the type of potatoes you use. I skip the peeling when I am using a red variety or any thin-skinned potatoes.
- Soak the sliced potatoes in cold water for a few minutes to rid of excess starch and make them extra crispy.
- Slice the potatoes at about 1/4 inch thick for a meaty texture. The thinner the slice, the crispier the potatoes!
- Pack the potatoes in the baking dish loosely to allow for even cooking.
- Feel free to add slices of zucchini and eggplant for a more substantial
- To keep the potatoes warm longer, use a cast-iron skillet from the oven to dinner table.
- These roasted potatoes make a great side dish for lunch or dinner. Serve with your favorite protein and vegetables.
- Tightly wrap the dish with a plastic wrap or transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, cover the dish with foil and re-roast in a 400 F oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or until warmed all the way through.
Give them a try for dinner tonight, they’re sure to be a hit with the crowd! And if you’re looking for more delicious ideas, check out mini hasselback bites, pressure cooker potatoes, cheddar ranch potatoes, and loaded potato balls.
Hasselback Potatoes with Parmesan and Roasted Garlic
- olive oil
- 6 large red potatoes
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Brush bottom and sides of a 9 x 5-inch baking dish with olive oil.
- Peel potatoes and using a mandoline or a sharp knife, slice potatoes crosswise into desired thickness. In a bowl of cold water, soak for a few minutes and drain well.
- Arrange potato slices and onion rings vertically and loosely in the prepared dish.
- Sprinkle garlic and Italian seasoning on top of potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dot potatoes with butter. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake in a 375 F oven for about 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are crisp and cheese is melted..