White Lightning Turkey Chili made with ground turkey, white beans, and corn. Hearty, spicy and delicious, it’s comfort food in a bowl!
I don’t know what it is about chili but G just can’t seem to get enough of it. A big bowl of the stuff definitely runs high on his list of comfort foods. We always have a steady supply of Staggs in the pantry which he can easily zap in the microwave and slather over Fritos when craving calls. But although canned chili variety is convenient for times when he needs a quick fix, he likes to whip up an easy batch of his 15-min chili or experiment on other recipes he comes across.
I walked in on him in the kitchen this afternoon in the middle of ladling copious amounts of this white lightning turkey chili over bowls of crisp corn chips for our midday snack and I have to say, it was the best bowl of chili I’ve had in a long, long while. Hearty, delicious and made healthier with ground turkey (works great with chicken, too!), it definitely hits the spot.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 2 (15 ounces each) cans white beans
- 1 (15 ounces) can corn kernel, drained
- 2 (10 ounces each) cans chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounces) can condensed cream of chicken
- 2 (4 ounces each) cans diced jalapeno peppers, drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- shredded cheese, optional
- In a pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until limp. Add turkey and cook, breaking into pieces with back of spoon, until browned.Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add bell pepper and cook until softened.
- Add beans, corn (including packing liquid), chicken broth, cream of chicken soup and diced jalapenos. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Add cumin and oregano. Lower heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 to 25 minutes or until turkey is fully cooked and flavors have meld. Serve hot with shredded cheese and corn chips, if desired.