I was standing on a corner of the kitchen and intent on finishing a big heaping of this loaded mashed potatoes when G walked in and asked, “Thought you are on a diet?” Diet? What diet? I am seizing life. As my guru, Erma Bombeck said, “Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.”
This loaded side dish is, indeed, anything but waist friendly. Definitely not the kind you’d like to indulge in on regular basis when you’re eager to hit the beach with a polka-dot bikini. But with fluffy potatoes generously studded with bacon crumbles, shredded cheddar and green onions, it’s definitely worth its weight in calories. Enjoy!
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine potatoes and enough cold water to cover to about an inch. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and continue to cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender enough to pierce with a fork. Remove potatoes from heat and drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until golden brown and crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine heavy cream and butter, and warm until butter is melted.
- In a deep bowl, combine mashed potatoes and heavy cream-butter mixture. Mash potatoes with a fork until smooth and has no lumps. Do not over-beat or mashed potatoes will turn "gluey". Add cheese, bacon and green onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine. When serving, garnish with additional crisp bacon, cheese and green onions, if desired. Serve hot.