Cockeyed Cake is the only cake recipe you’ll ever need! It’s quick and easy; everything gets mixed and baked in the pan. And with no eggs, it’s a delicious vegan treat.
Although already known under many names such as cockeyed, wacky, crazy, or depression cake, I am officially rechristening this cake as the LAZY ASS CAKE. It’s so simple to make; it’s almost foolproof!
All the cake needs is a minute or two of whisking. It bakes in the same pan that the ingredients are mixed in and comes out of the oven dark, moist and chocolatey in 30 minutes. No need to grease the baking pan even!
Don’t let the simple steps and humble ingredients fool you! Soft, fluffy, and with intense chocolate flavor, it’s the only cake recipe you’ll ever need.
It’s a winner as is, but I am one of those people who can’t leave great things alone. Occasionally, I pump up the chocolate flavor by adding a teaspoon or so of instant coffee granules to the batter. Optional but highly recommended.
You can enjoy a slice plain or easily take it up a notch with a sprinkling of powdered sugar for a vegan treat (no eggs!). A generous slathering of canned frosting will do the trick if you want something more sinful and indulgent.
Now, if you want to go all out and impress, this lazy ass cake makes a terrific base for tiered masterpieces. Double the recipe, bake in two batches in a round (or square) cake pan, and pull it all together with your specialty frosting (mocha flavor, pretty please!) in the middle and chocolate ganache for the outside.
The cake requires so little work; you can focus more on getting it all nice and pretty.
- Unfrosted cake– will keep at room temperature for a few days. For longer storage, wrap in plastic film to keep it from drying out and absorbing refrigerator smells, and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Frosted cake– place in the freezer uncovered for about 10 to 15 minutes until the icing hardens. Wrap with plastic film and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules, optional
- vanilla frosting (store-bought)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In an 8 x 8 baking pan, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, water, oil, vinegar, vanilla extract and instant coffee, if using.
- Stir together until smooth and blended. Wipe down the sides of any spills.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”