Honey Soy Chicken Wings are so easy to make and perfect for game day. Marinated in soy sauce, honey, orange juice, and garlic mixture, they’re sticky, sweet, savory and finger-licking, lip-smacking delicious!
Honey Soy Chicken Wings are definitely one of the guilty pleasures we indulge often at home. We love them as an appetizer when entertaining a crowd or as main meal with a side of salad. They’re always a hit at parties and potlucks, you’ll find everyone huddled around them trying to score the last piece.
A delicious medley of sweet and salty flavors with notes of ginger and garlic, these Asian-style wings are finger-licking, lip-smacking delicious. They’re seriously addicting, you should see the huge pile of wingettes and drummettes we go through each and every time we have a craving!
Baked honey soy sauce chicken wings are not a crowd favorite, they’re also easy to make with 10 minutes of prep time and simple pantry items you probably already have on hand. You get so much flavor for so little work!
Tips on How to Make Honey Soy Chicken Wings:
- I like to pulse the ginger and garlic in a food processor or blender just until smooth before adding to the marinade. This is a great way to get the most of these aromatics without bits and pieces to accidentally bite into.
- Drain the chicken well and pat dry to keep the extra water from unnecessarily diluting the marinade mixture.
- Please boil the marinade before using for basting. This is an important step to ensure food safety as well as to concentrate the flavors as the marinade is reduced.
- I suggest baking these chicken wings in on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet instead of a baking dish. This way, the wings are not sitting in a pool of expelled grease and they get nice texture overall. No soggy bottoms!
The hardest part of the recipe, really, is waiting for the chicken to marinate in that amazing honey soy sauce mixture. I am sure you’d want to get your hands on these scrumptious wings ASAP but I highly recommend marinating them overnight or at the very least 4 hours for best flavor. If you want to do away with the step, you can definitely do them in a slow cooker!
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Wings:
- Process the ginger and garlic in a food processor or blender until smooth. In a bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, orange juice, pureed ginger-garlic, and sesame oil.
- Season the chicken wings with salt and pepper to taste and place in the slow cooker.
- Add the sauce mixture and stir to fully coat chicken wings.
- Cook on HIGH for about 2 to 3 hours or on LOW for about 3 to 4 to hours until chicken wings are tender but not falling apart and a thermometer inserted in the thickest part reads 165 F.
- Transfer the liquid to a saucepot and thicken with a cornstarch slurry. Pour over cooked chicken as a sauce or use for basting.
- For a crisp, browned skin, arrange chicken in a single layer on a baking sheet and broil for about 2 to 3 minutes. Baste with the thickened glaze partway through.
Not feeling chicken wings tonight? The marinade is awesome for chicken thighs, legs, and breasts, too! Want more chicken wings in your life? This citrus caramel is a delicious unique version you wouldn’t want to miss!
- 2 pounds chicken wings, tips removed and halved at the joints
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 thumb-size fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- green onions, chopped
- Wash chicken wings and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a food processor or blender, combine garlic and ginger. Pulse a few times until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, orange juice, sesame oil, and the pureed ginger-garlic. Stir until combined.
- Add chicken wings and marinate in the refrigerator for about 4 hours or overnight for best results.
- Drain chicken from marinade, reserving liquid. In a small saucepot over medium heat, boil marinade for about 10 to 15 minutes or until reduced.
- Arrange chicken in a single layer on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking pan.
- Bake in a 400 F oven for about 10 to 15 minutes. Baste with the marinade and turn. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or chicken lightly browns and a thermometer inserted in the center of chicken reads 165 F.
- Remove from pan and transfer to serving platter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions. Serve hot.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”
Leave a Comment